Sunday, October 19, 2008

R.I.P. Levi Stubbs, Four Tops Vocalist

(swiped from Pitchfork Media)

Motown legend and Four Tops lead singer Levi Stubbs passed away in his home today (October 17) following a series of illnesses, according to Billboard.com. He was 72.

Stubbs and the Four Tops were responsible for some of the most enduring songs in pop and R&B history, from "Baby I Need Your Loving" to "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)" to "Reach Out I'll Be There". Over their storied career, the Tops sold more than 50 million records and scored 45 chart hits, maintaining their original lineup of Stubbs, Abdul "Duke" Fakir, Renaldo "Obie" Benson, and Lawrence Payton for more than 40 years.

Stubbs continued regularly performing with the group until 2000, when illness forced him off the road. He appeared with the Tops for the last time at a 50th anniversary show in 2004. In addition to his singing work, Stubbs lent his voice to Audrey II, the foul-mouthed man-eating plant in 1986's Little Shop of Horrors.

Stubbs is survived by his wife of 48 years and five children.

"Baby I Need Your Loving"





"When She Was My Girl"





"Reach Out I'll Be There"



No comments: